Forget the myth that winter is a bad time to sell real estate. While sales usually inch lower in the cooler months, some real estate pros are saying this winter in particular may be a great time to sell a home. Here’s why:
- Mortgage rates are near record breaking lows.
- Home prices are starting to rebound in many markets across the country. The National Association of REALTORS reported that home prices in December were 11.5% higher than a year earlier.
- Homes still remain a good deal: Prices are rising but remain mostly below 2007 highs, and in many areas, the cost of buying is cheaper than renting.
- Distressed homes that typically sell at big discounts – up to 20% off – are still widely available. Short sales and foreclosures accounted for 22% of all existing home sales in November.
- Many buyers used to want to wait until the end of a school year before moving, but households are changing and moving schedules are less tied to school terms. That’s because households with children are making up a smaller part of the mix nowadays.
- Household formation is growing. Many people who ran into tough economic times several years ago are again looking at real estate ownership. Enough time has passed so that many of these individuals have re-build credit, built up their savings and now qualify for FHA, VA and conventional financing.
We at Keller Williams Realty’s At The Beach Team have the resources to assist you with selling or buying a new home. Call us today and find out how why our process is proven! Call our offices today – 850-654-3325 or email us at or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org